Lamingtons = Happiness



My love affair with the Lamington began at first bite. I was returning from an office trip and this was the only thing I could buy with the last of my foreign exchange.



Anyway, every bite of my little treasure was savoured until there was no more. The memory stayed on and I was interested in learning all about the yummy delight.

Here's a little about the humble little Lamington, courtesy Wikipedia:
A lamington is a dessert of Australian origin. It consists of squares of sponge cake coated first in a layer of traditionally chocolate sauce, then in desiccated coconut.

It is that simple, really.

However, I do not get access to a proper oven for baking and I was eager to try it out. That's when I decided to give the dessert a spin of my own. My inspiration- the Bounty Bar.

Here's the recipe.

Ingredients
Sponge cake (regular or eggless, depending on the audience)
Cooking Chocolate
Desiccated coconut

Method
1. Cut the sponge cake into cubes. Freeze the cake pieces for a few minutes so that the cake does not crumb.
2. Melt the cooking chocolate either on a double boiler or in a microwave safe bowl by microwaving on high for 45 seconds.
3. Dip the cubes of cake in the melted chocolate,  ensuring the entire cube is covered.
4. Lay the chocolate covered pieces on butter paper and let it dry slightly.
5. Roll the pieces in desiccated coconut and let it set naturally for 30-40 minutes.
6. Serve!
This stays fresh for up to 3 days when kept in a cool area.

A photo posted by Rohini Joseph (@rohinijoseph) on


Here's a fun spin for the kids
Instead of using desiccated coconut, roll the pieces in sugar spinkles.
The crunchy texture will keep them coming back for more!

So that wraps up the post on Lamingtons. Do give a shout out in the comments letting me know how they turned out!

Till next time!

Comments

Have you read our popular posts?

Piggy scarf

Presenting Ms Kitten

Animal scarves